From Sam Mould

26 Sep - 05 Oct 2017



Autumn is sweeping through Trélex. The hillside is a glorious patchwork of burnt sienna, leafy greens, bright yellow through to hues of flamed vermillion that soften into the deep embers of red.  The ground is cooling, leaves litter the footpaths and the forests of the hillside sing.

I’m out walking. Step. Step. Step. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. Every pace a musical delight under foot. Small birds peer beady eyed from the pines, a red squirrel bounces across my way, a Jaybird flashes blue whilst pine-cones aim shot from above. The afternoon is warm and as I clear the treeline, a view is afforded to Lac Leman. I count my turns, my change in direction noted each time, as I clock up the footfall.

When walking time slows, in my mind at least. The rhythmic vibes of each step make space to think differently. That’s the beauty of a residency, time to get into the rhythm of creative thinking and allow it to articulate itself in any form. My creative thinking and problem solving brings a collection of articles back to the studio to re-map my walk, points and distance and rock reimagined.     

A quick swim in the glassy lake livens my thoughts and then the night falls quickly here. A full moon brings it’s marbled light through the skylight as I wait for sleep content in the day's work.










No comments:

Post a Comment